Hours posted as available or by appointment. Please call 657-4110 for more information
Gray Historical Society Museum will be open July 8th from 6:00-8:30 pm
Gray Historical Society Museum will be open July 8th from 6:00-8:30 pm ... See MoreSee Less
1 week ago ·
This will take you back a few years... way, way back! ... See MoreSee Less
Found this on Journeys on the back roads of Maine FB page.. The beginnings of the Gray Fire Department are recorded in George T. Hill’s History, records and recollections of Gray Maine. It reports that in the 1880’s a group of men organized a group of volunteers to fight fires. They called themselves the Gray Fire Company, and the town appropriated some money to buy equipment; buckets, axes and ladders. George F. Cobb, the town’s hardware dealer at the time, bought the equipment for the town and, in order to keep the buckets from being lost, he had them painted red with GFC painted in bold letters in white. At the next town meeting one of the volunteers was asked to comment on the condition of the company’s equipment. He said everything requested had been delivered all right but that George F. Cobb had painted his initials all over the buckets. The equipment was stored in Hancock’s Stable and this plus some hand held chemical extinguishers that would squirt their three gallons or so of mixture fifteen or twenty feet after being inverted, is all that was provided for the Gray firefighters prior to 1900.
2 weeks ago ·