Fernald David Sawyer, active citizen of Gray, ran one of the town’s first garages and, at times, a small manufacturing business on the site of the present NAPA Auto Parts. Our photo of the original building shows the signage for Goodrich Silvertowns.
The business was purchased in early 1930’s by Perley & Jennie Sawyer, who were not directly related to the original owner. They added a new building in front [photo with three gas pumps and two garage bays c. 1939]. By 1959, proprietors were brothers Kenneth & Albert Sawyer. Later, their sons Peter and Robert Sawyer ran the garage until 1982, when it was sold to Lloyd & Jean Dunn who renamed the business Dunn’s Auto Parts.