Pictorial map of the town of Gray as it was in the days of its settlement, about 1750, when it was known as New Boston. Insert [not shown], Arnold E. Libby of Gray, who designed the map.
A historical map of Gray designed by Arnold E. Libbey of that town gives vivid pictorial representation of its past from the times when the first settlement was called New Boston into the early 1800’s. Here are graphically set forth the first stages of the town’s development from the days of Indian warfare in 1750 to those when Maine had emerged from the wilderness and become a state.
The central design of the map depicts special points of interest in Gray corner: The King’s mast yard, 1762, at the headwaters of Pleasant River where yokes of oxen are shown dragging loads of timber, and close by the house of Moses Twitchell, its superintendent and Gray’s first settler, also dated 1762; the saw mill: Stephen Furbush’s tannery, 1800; Rechabite Hall; and the churches-on the north Anthe old Congregational Church, 1828, and the Baptist Church, 1832; and to the south the First Parish Church erected in 1774 and owned by the town.
Near the First Parish Church is shown the town hall, 1830, and the the old cemetery opened in 1782. Close beside the cemetery is the village pound where early settlers confined stray cattle and horses.
One of the larger structures in the village was the hotel kept by Moses Harris. The Eagle Tavern owned by Daniel Haney previous to 1800 is shown with a four horse stage coach approaching its hospitable doors. Another well known hostelry appearing on the map is the old Cobb Tavern in South Gray.
East Gray depicted at the lower right, is especially interesting for the early settlement of 1739 on the Royal River. Beyond appear the 1750 house and its stockade, and toward North Gray the home of Rev. Nathan Merrill, 1760, first frame house in Gray.
Samuel Mayall’s woolen mill the first in the United States, occupies a prominent place in the design for North Gray. Mayall’s tomb is likewise indicated not far away, Other historic spots illustrated are the home of Daniel Cummings, first male child born in Gray, built 1766; the old gun house; and Jabez Mathews’ saw mill, 1778.
Yet another saw mill is seen in West Gray. Here figures prominently sketch of the old Gibbeon Ramsdell house with the hardy pioneer, musket in hand, scanning the horizon. Here too is indicated the Indian kettle with tepees beside it. A later West Gray structure is the so-called sleigh factory of Smith and Leslie near the saw mill.
The wilderness which once stretched beyond Gray Corner and its surrounding settlements is appropriately symbolized on Mr. Libbey’s map by conventionalized landscape with trees and deer. In the upper right hand corner of the map are Dry Mills, both sawmill and stave mill and Dry Pond. On the left is the irregular expanse’ of Little Sebago Lake. Near its shore is sketched the old Elder house and cemetery. Toward the upper end appears an Indian encampment.
A cartouche with the seal of Gray is inscribed above the borders of the lake.
Artistic in itself. the map is a delightful panoramic record d of Gray’s early history.
Mr. Libbey, who is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Wilbert T. Libbey of Gray graduated from Deering High School in the class of 1930 and from the Portland School of Fine and Applied Arts in 1934. While a student at the Art School, he was awarded the Furbush scholarship for design.
Portland Evening Express
Saturday, July 2, Page 38

