The buildings shown in this photograph housed several businesses throughout the years. As noted in George T. Hill’s book History, Records, and Recollections of Gray Maine, about 1830 Daniel Hall built a brick building that is still standing today! Mr. Hall ran a dry goods and groceries business. A few years later, the business was passed into the hands of a brother.
This week, our From Our Files item is this single photo in need of a story. We hope that our readers will supply some background that we might add to Mrs. Cummings story.
We checked the 1940 Federal Census for the Town of Gray, which included Milo Cummings, a 60-year-old farmer; his wife, Lucy with no occupation listed, and their 14-year-old son Milo, Jr. They lived on Fish Hatchery Road in close proximity to Carlton & Helen Blake and Fannie Verrill.